18 Jan Library Project
This project will provide a Library at the Happy Villages Lieta Demonstration Site. This Library is intended to identify, organize, preserve and offer accessible resources that serve the needs of schools (teachers and students) and the community at large in Education, Economic, Heath, Agricultural and Development spheres.
The proposed library project will benefit the entire community. However, the first target population are the 10 schools we partner with in Lieta sub-location and those from the neighbouring communities, their teachers, the village committees working in Health, Education, Water and Sanitation, Agriculture and Environment. Other stakeholders from Government Ministries, Local Administration and other colleges around the sub-location will also benefit.
There are five different target groups essential for the Lieta Community library project;
1. Primary and secondary school children
2. College students and adults in the community
3. Out of school youths in the community
4. Teachers in the community
5. Community Committee Members
It is expected that they will utilise the library facilities to enhance learning and development.
Happy villages work with 8 different Committees – they were chosen by the community in a community forum as their representatives for 1. Health, 2. Education, 3. Water/Sanitation, 4. Agriculture/Food Security/Environment, 5. Infrastructure, 6. Business Enterprise, 7. Gender & 8. Community Development.
The committee members are mostly farmers, teachers and health workers. They constitute direct beneficiaries who are already being trained on various components of agro processing, leadership and microfinance among others. There are also other community members who are working in collaboration with Happy Villages. They will also have access to the services at the Library. Besides that the different committees meet at the resource centre and they will make use of the Library as they hold their discussions as they also learn from the resources and demonstration gardens within the centre.
The main objective for the implementation of the Library is to serve as a source of current information about national trends, issues and strategies. To offer information on Agriculture and allied activities such as planting treated seeds, soil conservation, prevention of plants and animal disease, fertilizer application, farm machineries, recommended thinning practices, proper storage of farm products, marketing techniques, cooperative activities and other agro-cultural activities. To help the community connect to the outside world via online services to increase their personal and community development opportunities. To offer Library services for children and schools in accessing useful study material. To provide Health information services focusing on the needs of healthcare providers and Community Health Workers to make their work more effective.
Happy Villages has experieced the benetfits of having community members fully engaged in all stages of project activities, with constant access to information for continued learning and for these lessons to be transferred to their households. The constant to information through the Library at the Resource Centre should ensure that community members remain engaged and are willing to apply their learnings in the household.
Expected Outcomes of the project include:
- Having access to educational resources, students will improve their performances in school and compete favourably on national level exams.
- The community will become well informed because people will have access to a wealthy information resources such as; local, national, and international news papers, bulletins, and magazines and journals will be made accessible in either electronic or paper formats
- Agriculture being the backbone of Lieta Community as well as Kenya’s economy will improve due to availability of books and information on modern methods of farming and sustainable agriculture will be made available to the farmers, leading to food security, improved income and livelihood.
- Entertainment and media materials will be made accessible to the community. This will be a resource for recreation and learning and nurturing of new talents e.g sports.
- Employment opportunities will be created for the local people.
- 1 complete library building constructed and fitted with 50 shelves installed and equipped with 30 study tables and 180 chairs, 20 working computers and 1 solar system and wind power system set.
- 1000 books bought and set in the library ready for use with 1 projector bought and ready to be used for trainings
- 350 school students accessing the library monthly, 50 out of school youths accessing the library and using the services monthly, 150 farmers, health workers accessing and using the library to gather information and 100 community members trained on environmental issues, library use, and computer use e.t.c
- 1 librarian employed and community committee formed.
The beneficiaries contributed in designing the project in a positive way. The birth of the project came from the feedback obtained from Lieta community during the Baseline Study and Community Action plan. The community felt that they were mainly farmers, teachers, health workers and students and they had not met their learning capacity. They felt that if they could get a place where they could continue their learning whether it was to learn modern ways of farming production or healthcare or simply to access more books for a student who cant afford to buy the necessary school texts.
They believe with a Library and demonstrations then they would be able to improve their farming production by utilizing the best practices they would have learnt from the demonstration farms, as well as learn and practice modern healthcare as well as practice Natural Medicine among many other areas. Beneficiaries will be able to offer labour and ideas at different stages of project implementation. They will also produce learning materials and they will have a time frame to carry out Monitoring of the ongoing work and provide a report or recommendations to the Manager.